Monday, March 5, 2012

Attack of the new post!!

Oh no!! What is this? A new post?

Yes, you read right, I (of my own free will) am writing another post. I do have an idea about future posts now that I'm technically working in the fine wine section of the bottle-o I work at, but that requires much dedication, and I'm already procrastinating pretty hard.

So I saw on FB this 30 day challenge picture where you can talk about your favourite Doctor Who elements, and I thought to myself "I really want to tell people about how I feel about this, but let's face it, I couldn't be stuffed trying to remember to do this for 30 days continuously." (Plus I tried to do a 30 day walking/running challenge with a few friends of mine and didn't make it past day 2. I'm still swimming regularly though, so don't call me a fatty just yet you judgemental meanie.) So I was thinking, maybe I would put the picture up here for you to see and give you my answers and stuff. (My disclaimer is though that I have only had a chance to watch the new series not the older classic stuff, and I realise that this mightmake me unqualified in your opinion, but I can live with that.) For those of you who don't watch Dr Who, you might not get some of the references, but that is what the internet is for, either to watch the episodes and find out or to wiki them.




Q1. Favourite Doctor:
Now I know that David Tennant has been by far one of the most loved portrayals of The Doctor with his converses and his exuberance, but he got like, a bizillion seasons all to himself and poor old Christopher Eccleston only got one. And with his Welsh accent and goofy-looking face I really think he played charisma well and could have had a little more of a chance.

Q2. Favourite Companion:
Without a doubt this would have to be Donna Noble (played by Catherine Tate). Not only is she a fantastic role model for women's independence but she has huge, well thought out and heart-breaking character development throughout her run in the series (plus if you rearrange the character's name and the actor's name you get my name, which is a pretty sick coincidence). She got some seriously good one-liners too. Plus it was such a nice change for the Doctor not to be involved in some messy entanglement of romance just to keep the young female component of audiences interested in the series.

Special mention for this one would be Donna's grandfather, because he was pretty brilliant too.

Q3. Least favourite companion:
Sorry Rose, but you're it. Don't get me wrong, very much a fan of Billy Piper and her early days as a pop singer and her later role on Secret Diary of a Call Girl, but something about her pouting and thinking her love with the Doctor was the only one was just so... blergh. She didn't even have that much attitude. Granted her character development was going from a no-hoper to a more purposeful life, but other than her career, nothing about her character changed (ie she never grew much of a spine except what her job needed her to do).

Q4. Favourite villain:
I kind of like the Sontarans over the Daleks or Cybermen. There is something I really liked about these ugly potato shaped things that have a designated weak-spot which in turn makes them ultimately brave in their battle strategies. It's like a plot device with a fail-safe way of defeat, and for some reason I find solace in that.

Q5. Favourite Alien:
I think I might have to go with Ood on this one. The whole tentacle beard with a brain on an umbillical cord which you hold in your hand could just be the right mix of creepy, zen and foreign which on some level appeals to me. It's better than some of the grosser aliens that they have come up with.

Q6. Favourite special episode:
Christmas Special 2010 - Christmas Carol. I liked how Scrooge's memory was continually altered in the past and thence changed his present memories. It was kind of trippy and a nice play on the original novel (not that I have read it, but there have been enough remakes of it that I'm sure I have most of the idea).

Q7. Favourite Season:
Season 4 where Donna Noble plays companion to the Doctor played by David Tennant. The two just work BRILLIANTLY together!! If you would like to see an example of their on-screen chemistrry (in a stricly platonic way) I reccomend you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

And then I saw that they did Much Ado About nothing together: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjmqSJ0ElNs

Needless to say I'm going to try get my hand on a copy of the DVD version of that. I would have paid so much to see it live...

But the reason I lied the season so much was because they were just friends, no ifs, no buts, just butt-kicking side-kicks to eachother. And Donna Noble's attitude is just so refreshing after puppy-dog starers 1 and 2 as companions.

Q8. Least favourite season:
It's a tie between the first season with David Eccleston Doctor and the first season of Matt Smith as Doctor. David balanced out Rose for the most part so I could at least feel neutral about that series, and Matt Smith's first round allowed him to get into the groove which made it harder to get attached to any part of the series in particular. They both had some superb episodes though so maybe they could tie.

Q9. Favourite Master:
I have only ever seen one, and I didn't mind him much so I'll just move on to the next question.

Q10. Saddest episode:
Season 4 - Episode 13 - Journey's End. They had to completely wipe Donna's memory. And with the Doctor standing in the rain all sad and pouty-like. How could you not want to ball your eyes out???

Q11. Funniest episode:
Season 4 - Episode 1 - Partners in Crime. David Tennant playing off Catherine Tate in a reunion episode which I'm sure was full of ad libs. But it was staged so well and it was just classic. I can't even begin to describe it really, so if you want to know what I'm going on about you will just have to watch it.

Q12. Episode that scared you the most:
Season 3 - Episode 10 - Blink (and any subsequent episodes with the Angels in it). Again, you will have to watch this episode to get the full effect, but you will not regret it. Nor will you ever feel the same about stone statues again.

(here's where I start losing interest and the questions aren't as discussable. This is probably just evidence to the fact that I haven't watched the entire series recently.)

Q13. Favourite theme song:
Sorry, I can't tell the difference between them so I'll just skip this one.

Q14. Character you like that everyone else hates:
I don't have a big enough circle of friends who are fans of DW to have disagreements about this. Actually I think I'm the only fan of Eccleston as the Doctor because he was usurped by the almighty Tennant in his role.

Q15. Most annoying character:
Rose. Well, there could be others, but none particularly come to mind right now. Well, okay I'll admit that both Amy Pond and Rivesong can have both their moments of disfavour.

Q16. Favourite Actor:
David Tennant

Q17. Least favourite actor:
I really can't hate on anyone that much really.

Q18. Favourite actress:
Catherine Tate

Q19. Least favourite actress:
Again, I'm not going to start ranting now.

Q20. Favourite writer:
Steven Moffat. He wrote the Vashna Nerada, the silence, and the angels. He's an excellent sotry teller of the creepy, ghostly and ghouly.

Q21. Favourite couple:
I actually quite liked Martha Jones and that Paediatrician she met during the alternate history. Then somehow when David Tennant went to say his farewells she was hooking up with Mickey. I mean come on, what is that?

Q22. Favourite friendship:
David Tennant Doctor and Catherine Tate. Hands down. No discussion.

Q23. Favourite Doctor Who spinoff:
Torchwood. It covers the socially relevant issues whilst still being sci-fi, alien filled and quirky. Plus these guys get to use guns which the Doctor was stricly against for moral reasons.

Q24. Favourite quote:
This is like picking your favourite tulip from a field in Holland. Too many good ones, not enough time.

Q25. Favourite Doctor catch phrase:
Allons-y Alonso!

Q26. Favourite Doctor gadget:
What kind of question is this? The guy has a sonic screwdriver and a TARDIS. How the hell is anyone meant to choose between those two?

Q27. Favourite interview.
Q28. Favourite gif
Q29. Favourite guest star
Q30. When do you become a fan of Doctor Who

I don't think these questions are very good, so I won't justify them with an answer.

And look at that, I wrote another blog entry. No, it wasn't particularly eventful or orignal, but it was better than trying to write vague assignments.













No comments:

Post a Comment