Wednesday, February 22, 2012

As per your request...

I will let you stay anonymous, but this blog goes out to you in the hopes it might shut you up a bit.

For those not in-the-know, I have decided I am not nearly self-motivated enough to make full and regular blog updates. I found twitter and was slightly more successful in the concept of regular use until I hit the 1.5 thousand tweet mark, at which point my need to state things accross cyberspace became quelled. I still check in periodically to see what people are up to and reaffirm distant ties, but despite being able to access it from my nifty new phone, I haven't felt quite the same about it in the last few months. But my friend, who is still a mad-keen blogger (and not half bad I might add), is harassing me to make another entry. So here goes.

I am 6 months away from completing my Bachelor of Science. Of course I'm glad to be headed in to the workforce and its associated trials and tribulations, like not finding a job, or not finding a job that I like, or not finding a job that pays and having to stay as a check-out chick in my present job. The only problem is that my majors are probably the least transferrable to the current working market. I am taking Marine Biology and Zoology majors, the Arts degree of Science majors, and while I would like to become a proffessional beach bum, you need to have a sleuth of diving qualifications to be considered for most of those positions that come up. Not only do I have a stupid variety of asthma which I am usually at greatest risk to when having a laughing fit rather than physically exerting myself in exercise, but I don't have any money to do all the tests and the dive courses and the practise hours to do what they want. So I might just be like Orpha Bellwood and study crabs or something.

But there is an alternative. There are a whole bunch of graduate programs (essentially paid internships) in the public and prvate sectors. I would probably be more likely to be accepted in to the government run ones, and they take people with science degrees. Some of them are picky as to what majors you've taken, others don't say that they are picky specifically, but let's face it, they probably are. And I realise that by doing a graduate program with the Department of Defence would be like going in to a family business, but it seems like it would be the most interesting department to go in to. I could (and probably will) apply to go into the Departments of Sustainability, and Environment & Climate Change too, but I don't know if I would enjoy it. But apparently half the fun of becoming a public servant is looking up new jobs to apply for every Thursday.

For some reason the prospect of applying for all these jobs is exciting me, despite the fact that the process will be the same but 1 million times over for every one I apply for. But maybe I will use this place as a place to vent and you can follow me on my trials and tribulations.

Also, I am trying to keep good habits this year such as eating less, and exercising more. I have signed up on a few different websites to give me exercising and meal ideas for when I live on my own, as well as calorie counter websites to keep my goal to eat in more moderate proportions in check. Over the last 2 months or so I have lost 5 kilos (or maybe some more if you consider the fact I wasn't entirely sure of my weight before I started), so I am hoping I can keep up swimming to lose me some more weight. Also I believe a 30 (week)day challenge will be commencing next week where a group of us will start getting up early to run while the days are still cool. Maybe I will vent about that here as well.

Anyway, I am going to go have some excellent conversations. You should try doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment